Try running mysqld without the -opt. Check out this site www.apachefriends.org it has a great all in one package that can be installed on Windows and Linux. If you install it on Windows it has the option to setup mysql and apache to run as services. This XAMPP package is a no brainer!!

Hope this helps.

Andrew Maxwell wrote:
Hello,
Im fairly new to PHP and I am running an Apache web server on my
computer, set up as localhost, and i recently installed MySQL 4.1 . I
am having trouble making a DB and a table in the DB.  when i try to
create it from a command prompt it tells me this:

C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-opt

C:\mysql\bin>mysqladmin create userDB
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost; failed
error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)'
Check that mysqld is running on localhost and that the port is 3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

and when I try to connect using Telnet it gives me this error

Microsoft Telnet> open localhost 3306
Connecting to localhost...Could not open connection to the host, on
port 3306: Connection failed

And when i run services.msc it shows that mysql is running, so i dont
know what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas?

~Andrew