I'd posted this link yesterday on the geographic search engine thread, but it has not appeared.

Richard Lynch wrote:

Is anybody aware of any existing world-wide data-collection effort of
postal codes in relation to geogrpahical coordinates (long/lat)?

Just:
country_code + postal_code <====> (long, lat)
in a one-to-one relationship, as crude as that might be.

http://ibWebAdmin.lsces.co.uk/FirebirdFederationDataArchive.html

I've added the GB_POSTAREA table with some 3000 primary postal area
entries, all with XY coordinates which can be used on www.multimap.com
(See the notes in the DATA_INDEX for details on how to use - getting to
them will give you exercise on ibWebAdmin  ;)  )

Also added last night is an old US_ZIPCODE table - it's a start.

The object of the archive is to build a database of useful information such as post codes, states, towns/cities, and the like - all running on PHP of cause, into a Firebird database.
Feel free to forward any additional information you have for inclusion ;)

--
Lester Caine