On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 09:27, Vikram Vaswani wrote:
> Hi
> I have a string like this:
> ----
> Just when you begin to think the wagon of Vietnam-grounded movies is grinding
> to a slow halt, you’re hit squarely in the face with another one. However,
> while other movies depict the gory and glory of war and its effects, this
> centres on the psychology of troopers before they're led to battle.
> ----
> I need to know the index position of every occurrence of the pattern "the" in
> the string above, and replace it with something else. Specifically, I need
> the position of the last, first and third occurrences of "the".
>
> I'm totally lost as to how to do this. Could someone help me out?

do you want to replace them or just find the position in the string?
There are functions for both  try looking at the manual for
preg_replace:

http://www.php.net/preg_replace

looks like

$replacedstr = preg_replace('/the/','whatever',$origstr,3);

would replace the first three occurances of the with whatever in the
string contained in $origstr and place it in $replacedstr.

HTH
Bret