Mikey wrote:
Hi again - thought it best to keep the two topics separately...

I have just leased a virtual hosting package and want to provide GPRS
access to my email server using WML.

<disclaimer>I have never built a site that served WML, but I know a small bit about it</disclaimer>

Now I have a couple of test pages that I have put up on the server that I want to view, but can't seem to get to them. I am not really sure about how GPRS works, but I thought that any internet server could serve WML as long as it was valid.

OK Google tells me GPRS is this: http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/intro.shtml#1
(Sorry, like I said I've never served WML before!)

I definitely have never treaded into these waters. If GPRS is a protocol that is built on top of HTTP then I can think of no reason why your Apache server shouldn't be able to do this. The main task, I think, would then be to check the browser's user-agent and generate WML if it is a browser built for a phone.

Lucky you... I actually looked through some packages once upon a time to serve WML. I remember liking what I saw from HAWHAW; perhaps it will work for you?

This link will probably help you out:
http://www.hawhaw.de/faq.htm

I have read a little about gateways and from what I have read it seems that it would be my phone company that was responsible for providing that.

AFAIK yes, mobile phone companies provide the gateways to the net. Sprint actually has a lot of stuff out there to help developers provide content to their system, but I never got into it much (I remember it being more work than my just-for-fun project justified).

Any ideas?

Mikey

Any takers for this question?

Purrrrlease?!?!?