Bruce Douglas wrote:
no..

he didn't.

Yes he did... he just used calculus to do it. I'm not going to give a full calculus lesson here (you can google for that), but basically the limit of 0.9999999 (repeating) as you go towards *infinity* decimal places is 1

8.0 = 8.0

7.9999 (repeating) = 7.9999 (repeating)

8.0 != 7.9999 (repeating)

In this case it is like 7 + 1 = 7 + .9999999 (repeating)
Which goes to 1 = .99999999 (repeating)
Which is true, if you know the calculus involved here. Seriously, google for it.

now, if you want to get into conversations with regards to internal binary representations because of the limits of the register architecture in computers, then i might say the issue is the fact that the algorithms employed within the hardware are flawed...

but let's not start screwing with basic math theory....

I wouldn't call it basic... but calculus is indeed a theory. Heck it might even be on the level of containing mathematical axioms, but I don't know that for sure ;)

the statement that he uses where he states that there is a limit to the level of precision is lazy at best... (from a mathmatical perspective) or can i simply say, 15000 = 14,800 based upon my level of precision....

Not limit to precision... limit as you approach infinity. It assumes *no* arbitrary cutoff point of precision... whereas most OS's do indeed cut off after X number of decimal places.

-bruce

--
Teach a man to fish...

NEW? | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html