First time post, please be gentle.

I'd like to be able to extract search strings from referer urls that come from
search engines. (via php,
of course) For example, http://www.google.com/search?q=foo+bar&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Now, I realize one might employ grep to pull out this information and its easy
for a human to examine
a url like the one above, but I'd like to programmatically present a nice, tidy
list of search words used
to generate the url.

My gut says that one would need to write a function for each major search
engine to parse out this
information since each engine is unique in how it builds the url. However, I
thought after poring over
the manual and online docs/list and not finding a solution, and before I went
off and reinvented the
wheel, I would float the question and see what you fine folks have to say about
the subject.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
--
T.J. Mahaffey