On Thursday 03 February 2005 10:05, Pedro Henrique Calais wrote:

> I'm with the following problem:
> my PHP scripts takes a very long time to execute (about 3 hours) because
> it has has system call to a perl script that is very time consuming.
>
> in IE (haven't noticed this in Mozilla or Konqueror) the execution of
> the PHP script doesn't finish, due to session expiry I think.

I believe IE has a hard-coded timeout limit, nothing you can do about it. You
could try to circumvent it by having your script output something (anything)
at a regular interval. But that may not be possible if your php script itself
is locked up waiting for the perl script.

> I've searched on the net and I've found some PHP
> functions, like set_time_limit, but all of them
> DON'T consider external time, like I/O time
> or a system call time. So increasing this
> time wouldn't help me.

Checkout ignore_user_abort().