Hi, I hope we are all doing well today

I'm very new to php.  Here are some basic info about my server that I
am running:
Mac OS X 10.3.7
PHP 4.3.10
MySQL 4.0.18
Apache 1.3.33

What I want to do is host a forum on my web page.  I can't seem to get
it set up, and I notice that I do not have a "php.ini" file in my /etc
directory (This is the Configuration File Path).  However, I do have a
"php.ini.default" in the same directory.
I seem to have two options:
1.) rename the "php.ini.default" to plain "php.ini" and see if that
resolves it.  However, I'm not sure what kind of tests can I perform
to see that it is working properly?
2.) or I can follow this tutorial at:
"http://www.dmcinsights.com/phpmysql/phpini.php"; which teaches me how
to make my own "php.ini" file.

Is there any other recommendations/comments that you all have?  Thanks
so much in advance everyone, I'm new to this mailing list.

--
S. Wong