On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 08:10:22AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] produced this golden
nugget:
> > Does anyone know how to detect when a user connects to the Internet
> > similar
> > to ICQ?
>
> I think you mean messages on  pages like "321 user online"!
> As HTTP is a stateless protocol, you can't really know this!!!
> It's only an estimation - and you can use sessions to realize this (ask how
> many sessions are active - and end a session after a short time like 5
> minutes!)
>
> witty

There is a way to do it, _if_ the user is using an IM service, for
icq the easiest way would prolly be to use the icq module for
perl (i don't know whether there is a PHP class for icq), and then
use that to generate your page...

Mirabilis has made it possible to have the little "online" icon
if you like... check out their site for more info...

I dunno whether this is possible for AIM/etc...

--
andreas.landmark