This question is as much about politics, and religion, as it is technical.

I like mandrake, but I haven't used a distro yet, in which everything
'just worked'. Each distro I tried had some bug in it. Can't remember
what they were, and they were easly circumvented, but if you don't
know much about Linux, then it may not be the best choice.

I haven't tried ubuntu yet, but if you can get it installed okay, it
will probably pay off on the long run, since it is backed by the
strength, and power of Debian. That means that you can use the same
apt system as is used by debian for your package management.

Mandrake does have urpmi, which makes package management much easier
than it is in Fedora, SuSE, or any other rpm(redhat) based distro, but
I think you should know a bit about Linux, before venturing into what
is, if we're going to be honest about it, a buggy operating system.

I haven't tried it myself(costs money), but if I were starting again,
I might give Xandros a try. Make sure that whatever you do, that you
choose one that has a reputation for being newbie friendly.