Hello,

on 02/09/2005 01:38 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] said the following:
> I have a form which is too long to be useful displayed on one page.  I
> have it broken up into 7 sections.  All 7 are generated by the same PHP
> source file, from data in a database.
>
> When the user updates a section they can submit it and go to the next
> section, or submit it and finish (return to a higher-level page).
> There is also a navigation form at the top that lets them jump from any
> section to any other, and uses JavaScript to prompt if they try to jump
> without having saved changes they made to the page.  All of this is
> working fine.
>
> What's bothering me here is that when the user is done editing the data
> I use their input to regenerate a style sheet (the form allows them to
> customize the appearance of a web page for their customers).  That's
> expensive -- relatively speaking -- in server load so I'd rather do it
> only once, when they're really done.  But right now I do it every time
> they submit any page -- i.e. whenever any of the seven pages is
> submitted, the generation code runs.  I don't see any simple way to let
> them jump around between pages, yet for me to know when they are truly
> finished with all the data.  Of course I can give the required
> instructions -- "after you are done you have to click submit to save
> all the data" but I bet that those won't be read and the users will
> jump around, fail to save, and then complain that their changes are
> getting lost.
>
> Any thoughts on the design issues here?

You may want to take a look at this class than handles multipage forms with pages either as wizard like (sequential access) or tabbed like (random access):

http://www.phpclasses.org/multipageforms

There is also this generates a single page using Javascript and DIVs to show you only part of the form at a time and links to switch to other pages:

http://www.phpclasses.org/wizard

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos