Why not use the built in FTP functions instead of fopen?

us2.php.net/ftp

Those should be able to handle any of the address problems you have,
seeing as they don't use the ftp://username:[EMAIL PROTECTED] syntax,
they open a connection and work with the FTP system.

--
The Disguised Jedi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Now you have my $0.02.  Or .01 Pounds, .014 Euros, or $0.025 CAN.  I'm
already internationally compatible!
PHP rocks!
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Go to school, become evil"

However, I must say that the ENTIRE contents of this message are
subject to other's criticism, corrections, and speculations.

This message is Certified Virus Free