It could be flicking between GMT and local time, local time is 13 hrs
difference.

There's nothing on the server that would be changing an environment variable
for the PHP app, so I'm pretty much ruling out interference from that. I
still keep coming back to the server clock must be wrong but the IT guy
assures me it isn't.

Has anyone seen an error in PHP when it's gotten the date wrong. I can't
imagine this ever happening. (FYI OSX Server 10.3 PHP 4.3.6 )