Gene.

I ran into a similar problem a long time ago and found that my issue was that I had foolishly tried to recompile php5 into the same paths without cleaning out the old php binaries. I don't know if this is what you are doing but if it is then as a thought you might want to make sure that all traces of the earlier version of php has been wiped off of your system.

In my case I think what was happening was I wasn't rebuilding all of the binaries and libraries from scratch, so I had a broken php4/ php5 hybrid without realizing it. :-/

If you are upgrading but this doesn't help I would also make sure that you comment out all of the mod_php4 and/ or libphp4.so lines in httpd.conf.

Hope this is of some help!

Gene wrote:

Hi -
I'm trying to get PHP5 to run with Apache 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 5.3. However, I keep getting the following:

Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache2/libphp5.so into server: /usr/local/libexec/apache2/libphp5.so: Undefined symbol "ap_block_alarms"

Googling for this error brought lot's of results, all pointing to the manual and saying to recompile with --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE.

I did so, yet the error persists.
Reinstalling has no effect, and I've found nothing in the manual.

Has anyone any idea how to corect this?

Thanks for taking the time to help
Gene