O`Reilly's programming PHP is quite good too :)

Judson Vaughn wrote:
I second O'Reilly's PHP Cookbook. Another recommendation is Larry Ullman's books, especially HP Advanced for the World Wide Web. I try to triangulate, using several books that come at the code differently.

Jud.

Judson Vaughn
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Seiter Vaughn  Communications
12455 Plowman Court
Herndon, VA 20170
703.450.9740
svc

Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

* Daniel Purdy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[snip]
I'm looking for an easy to read PHP book that will help me learn a solid
foundation in PHP.

I'm already familiar with the language but want to make sure I'm coding
in the most efficient manner.

What's a few of the better books out there?
[/snip]
[snip jblanchard:]
I personally like the O'Reilly books on PHP, especially the PHP Cookbook
[/snip]

My personal favorites are the ones with the bright red covers published
by wrox (they are usually just titled the language, so in this case
PHP). I have found they provide excellent quick reference and also are
great for sitting down and reading through to get a better grasp of the
language. HTH!

I cannot disagree more. I have a copy of "Professional PHP Programming"
from circa 2000. It has a ton of real-world examples... that are
completely insecure and display really bad programming habits.
Additionally, the function listings at the back are not indexed, so if
you don't know, for instance, that the function 'split' is a regular
expression function, you'll never find it. The HTML reference was
complete fluff (shouldn't have even been in the book).
I honestly haven't found an introductory PHP book I could recommend --
I'd look for a good book on programming and/or programming practices for
the web, and then figure out how to translate that into PHP (using
php.net as a reference).