On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 10:14, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Because of some latency issues in the display of dynamically created PNG
> images, I've been trying to separate the image-creation process from the
> image-display process. Essentially, I'm trying to run a cron job that
> writes a PNG image to file every 5 seconds. The php file pulls data from a
> MySQL db and creates a color-coded map of a cancer treatment building. The
> presence of normal levels of Neutrons would lead to the creation of a
> green flag, above-normal levels yields a yellow flag, and high levels
> yields a red flag. Another page will simply use a SRC tag to display the
> image, and will refresh every 5-6 seconds to get the latest
> readings/image.
>
> The concept worked extremely well when the image was output to the
> browser, except for the fact that a latency caused the image in the
> browser to flicker when it refreshed.
>
> So I've attempted the above, but without success, in that I can't get the
> cron job to actually make the image file. I know that the file is being
> processed because I can echo out a few words to the screen. And I know
> that the php file can create an image file because it does so when I add
> the file_name attribute to the imagecreate() function.
>
> I've checked permissions on folders, etc, and have tried both the CLI and
> SAPI versions of php, with and without available command line flags, but
> no luck. And it's not the db query portion of the process because I've
> commented out that portion of the code.
>
> Pretty much stumped and very open to thoughts/comments.
>
> The Set Up:
> RH 9.0
> Apache 2.0.48
> PHP 4.3.4
> Mozilla 1.5
> (MySQL 4.0.18)

how are you trying to do this?  your comment that it can create the file
when you add the filename attribute to imagecreate leads me to believe
you are not using this feature.  Why not?

Also what is the error_reporting set to?

you might try error_reporting(E_ALL); at the top of your script to get
additional info.

Are you checking the returncode from the imagecreate?

you might try posting the code and letting someone wiht more experience
than I take a look.

Bret