if you any of the following might apply to you, please hit delete now:

1. easily offended.
2. think this email _needs_ a reply.
3. no sense of humour.
4. can't accept that humour varies from person to person.

thanks, that will save alot of heart-ache and bandwidth...
LETS RANT BABY :-)

Dan Trainor wrote:
Hello, all -

First, I'd like to appologize for treading a bit off-topic here, but I think that it will cover a lot of questions that others may have.

My company hosts several "Adult-oriented" Web Sites. Among other tools

dunno about the rest of the list but that sounds like pr0n to me.

that we use to combat Password Trading are ProxyPass and iProtect. They're both amazing products, which stop the use of Shared Passwords by

right up there with Clippy(tm) and the AOL webbrowser.

detecting multiple logins from different IPs, and they also maintain a database of known abused proxies that are often used in conjunction with these shared/traded passwords, and block connections from them accordingly.

The real magic comes about when you consider how these pieces of software actually work. They don't modify any existing authentication systems, but rather, they're both Apache modules. I've been unable to find an Open Source version of these programs, which I've been looking for, for quite some time. At more than $50.00 per license for ProxyPass and $300.00+ for iProtect, this would be more than a handful back in the pockets of my company, and ultimately, mine, when you consider the amount of our servers that run these tools.

so you spend 350 dollars per server, you wouldn't do it unless it made money, besides I'll bet the clients actually pay it (or you spend your own money to provide free hosting to hard-up 'adult content providers') - so really your looking for a OS variation so that you can pocket the extra 350.

ah do all the other pr0n peddlers have TWO porsches'? poor little Dan must be
feeling left out.

I've found one solution that looks promising called PureMember, but this too, costs a bit. Seeing that is what prompted me to write to the PHP list, because it makes itself into an Apache module using an mmencode procedure.

With that being said, what kind of solutions might the PHP community suggest to combat the trading and abusing of shared or traded passwords?

solution: try re-prioritizing other peoples misery above your own greed... tada.

I CAN HONESTLY SAY I DON'T GIVE A F*** ABOUT YOUR ABUSED pr0n PASSWDS,
on the contrary I hope your whole insdustry gets pirated and hacked into
oblivion, I wish upon your inbox 10000 times the number of sick spam messages
all your clients have ever sent out.

These solutions cannot modify the existing authentication procedures - meaning, I cannot convert a site that relies on .htaccess/.htpasswd authentication to a SQL-based authentication. The solution needs to have some sort of logging, either locally or remotely. The solution also has to be Open Source.

I eagerly await some feedback on this, because like I said, I'm sure there are others that have some of these same questions.

can anyone else see a good reason to sit down a write a a free OS apache module that stops passwd sharing so that some porn peddler can make more money?

<sarcasm>
I for one would love to donate all my free time to making you rich,
but only on the condition that you can prove at 50% of all the females
portrayed in the media offered by 'your clients' can truthfully have
the following said about them:

1. they have been forced fed drugs.
2. they have had their passport withheld.
3. they are beaten/raped regularly.
4. they have Shires Horses forced upon them.
</sarcasm>

.... or maybe you could go f*** yourself (no doubt one of your clients can
provide an instruction video).

Thanks for your time

Thanks for continuing and support a wholy abusive industry and mindset, thanks for destroying/perverting/twisting the sexuality of millions, nice one ace.

PS - anyone who might get the impression I some kind of fanatical religious
virgin: I have a kid, I have utter contempt for organised religion and I'm just
to lazy to be fanatical about anything. BUT p0rn as an industry ain't no good
for peoples state of being... otherwise the Kama Sutra would have a
'throatf***ing' edition. Or maybe everyone disagrees, maybe I'm just a lone nut,
maybe the "objectification of women" is the way, the truth and the light....

PPS - Here in Holland, we have a current top 'musical' 10 which includes a
'song'
entitled - "I just want to call you my bitch", which is simultaneously the
complete
lyrics to said 'song' - super smashing great, a truly inspirational piece of art
sprung forth from the fertile cultural environment we live in - hiphip hooray
for
pr0n peddlers everywhere!

PPPS - anyone still reading is probably trying to avoid doing real work....
so even if you think that whatever I wrote is crap/evil/stupid/annoying/etc its
still
served a useful purposed.

PPPPS - any pr0n peddlers arguing that 'their kids deserve to eat too', I
couldn't agree
more - although to be consistent the little critters should also be sat down
with a copy of
'Mommie gets DPed by 3 Hung Zulu Warriors (cos thats all shes good for)' at the
earliest
possibility so that 'little johnny' will know how to treat people in general,
and women particular,
properly.

... off to find a newbie to tickle. :-)

-dant