Shaun wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to create an XML file, it will be done in stages so if the file isn't present I will add the line:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <root_element>

Then for each line I add I add the following

        <child_element>data<child_element>

But for various reasons the application won't know when the file is complete so it won't have the final:

    </root_element>

To solve this I intend to add the following each time

        <child_element>data<child_element>
    </root_element>

and delete the </root_element> every time I add a new <child_element>data<child_element>. Can anyone tell me how I can delete the last 15 characters from a file every time I open the file?

Thanks for your help
first of all, why don't you simply do something like:
<?php
$contents = file_get_contents('file');
$contents = str_replace('</root_element>', '', $contents);
$contents .= "<child_element>data<child_element></root_element>";
file_put_contents('file', $contents);
?>

But well, to strip off the last 15 chars, simply use substr(), thus:
$contents = substr(file_get_contents('file'), 0, -15);

that will return the entire file contents - the last 15 chars.