Hi Shaun,

Depending on the urgency of the data being transported into the database from the XML file, you could even run a server process that will wait for a new file to be added to a nominated directory and add the data to the database.

As far as I know you could possibly use the PHP engine to that from the command line, command line invocation will not timeout as web scripts. Cron is a good idea if you dont mind the delay.

If you had a server process you could have the data insertion completed quite instantly, relatively anyway.

You could also write the server side stuff in say Python or a language of the like.

Let us know if you need any further specific help.

Devraj

Shaun wrote:
Hi,

I have a web based system that allows users to upload XML files and insert them into the database, however some of these files are large and are causing the webserver to timeout.

Is it possible to create a cron job that can insert the xml files say every hour, then the users of the site would only have to upload the files and not wait for the insert?

Any advice / examples here would be great as I am not a UNIX expert!

Thanks

--
Devraj Mukherjee ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Eternity Technologies Pty. Ltd. ACN 107 600 975