Since you can use fopen, I don't think open_basedir is the problem. Read about open_basedir here: http://us3.php.net/features.safe-mode

Maybe the path that you use in the include is wrong?

/Mattias

Andre Dubuc wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to 'insulate' my database connection from prying eyes by moving the db connection code to a directory above docroot and then calling it by an include. However, my IP has an open_basedir restriction in effect that defeats what I'm trying to do.

Perhaps I'm unclear what what the open_basedir does, and perhaps IP is protecting me from an even worse security risk. However, I can call, using fopen, many counter code pages that reside in the directory above docroot - so I'm confused here. Perhaps it's the use of include - is there another way to do this?

The code so far:

On any page that needs a db connection (in docroot path):
<?php
include("db-conn.php");
?>

Db code page (located in directory above docroot):
<?php
$db = pg_connect("dbname=site user=confused password=toughone");
?>

Tia,
Andre

-- More views at http://www.thorslund.us