I am trying to find a systematic way to develop reports for our custom
web app. What I've done in the past is basically create a query, dump
it to an HTML table, and put a link to open the report in Excel. I
would like to develop a report system that would allow a user (I have
2 advanced users that are comfortable at creating SQL queries) to
copy-and-paste a query into a form, identify how the report should be
grouped and add basic functions like sum() a particular column. Not an
outstanding solution security wise.

I'm currently investingating phpreports
(http://phpreports.sourceforge.net/). It looks promising, but it's not
working in my environment (Windows, SQL Server 2000)...yet. It's
getting there, but are there any other "reporting" packages anyone
could recommend? phpclasses.org had several, ,but they were MySQL
specific. I'd like, ideally, to be able to use MSSQL,Postgres or MySQL
(ADODB or PEAR).

TIA,
Mike Smith