Mário Gamito wrote:
Hi,

In Portgal we have big names.
My complete name, for instance, is "Mário Augusto Machado dos Reis Gamito".
"Mário" is the Christian name and "Gamito" - the last one - is always the last name of the father.

I have a form where i want to let my users insert their full big name like mine, but i want to shorten them just to the first and the last.

For example, if i fill the form with "Mário Augusto Machado dos Reis Gamito", i want to change this string to only "Mário Gamito".

The total number of names is not fix.
Could be 3, 4, 5, 6,...
My son name is "Manuel Ramos Gamito". Only 3 names.
Should be changed to "Manuel Gamito", also.

I've looked at the strings functions in the manual, made a lot of experiences, but couldn't get there :(

Does anyone knows how to do this ?

Any help would be apreciated.

Warm Regards,
Mário Gamito
<?php
$parts = explode(' ', $fullName);
$shortenedName = $parts[0].' '.$parts[count($parts)-1];
?>