André Pletschette wrote:
Hi,

I've got one function getTableName() which returns the Database-Table with the data of a class (see below).

As you can see it always calls the static $tablename of the subclass described by $this->classname.

I solved this problem by doing the following:

abstract class DBTable
{
        // we can't define abstract consts.
        // but this must be defined in your subclass
        // const TABLE_NAME = 'xxxxx';

        // define this func in your subclasses
        abstract function getTableName();
}

class C1 extends DBTable
{
        function getTableName()
        {
                return self::TABLE_NAME;

it seems like a crap way of doing it but
its very flexible and easy to understand (it just doesn't
have that certain 'je ne c'est quoi') - none the less it
was born out of a need for major flexibility (for pretty
much similar reasons to you - namely generic data objects),
anyway it gives you many ways to skin the cat (get the tablename):

<?

$c = new C1;

echo $c->getTableName();
echo C1::getTableName();
echo C1::TABLE_NAME;

$a = 'C1';

if (defined("$a::TABLE_NAME")) {
        echo constant("$a::TABLE_NAME");
}

if someone has a better way, bring it on :-) I'd love to be
able to improve my own code.

You may also want to look at the possibility of using class names
that are always indentical to the table names - I tried that but
I didn't like it.

Thankyou, André

Here the function:

   function getTableName() {
       if ($this->classname == "class1") {
           return class1::$tablename;
       } elseif ($this->classname == "class2") {
           return class2::$tablename;
       } elseif ($this->classname == "class3") {
           return class3::$tablename;
       }...
       }else {
           throw new Exception($this->classname." not found!");