php-general Digest 13 Apr 2001 02:13:07 -0000 Issue 624

Topics (messages 48299 through 48387):

Re: Creating Arrays
        48299 by: Rodney J. Woodruff
        48358 by: Jeffrey Greer
        48359 by: Jeffrey Greer

Re: www.php.net - gateway timeout?
        48300 by: Plutarck
        48302 by: maatt
        48305 by: Plutarck

Re: Editors ... calling them, or PHP-based one?
        48301 by: maatt
        48307 by: Dezider Góra
        48312 by: Plutarck

Geeklog or phpSlash?
        48303 by: Charlie Llewellin
        48331 by: Charlie Llewellin
        48341 by: Altunergil, Oktay
        48346 by: Charlie Llewellin

sending mail.. PLEASE HELP!
        48304 by: Jude Sanglitan
        48308 by: Plutarck
        48309 by: Data Driven Design
        48310 by: Jude Sanglitan
        48314 by: Jude Sanglitan
        48316 by: Michael Hall
        48317 by: Jude Sanglitan
        48318 by: Tobias Talltorp

Easy News Script
        48306 by: Zeus
        48340 by: Chris Anderson
        48383 by: Zeus

Re: syntax
        48311 by: Renze Munnik

Re: .htpasswd encryption
        48313 by: Ryan Hilton

Re: Editors ... calling them, or PHP-based one? (doh!)
        48315 by: Plutarck
        48329 by: Dezider Góra

HTTP_POST_VARS
        48319 by: Mat Marlow
        48320 by: Dominick Vansevenant
        48335 by: Plutarck
        48361 by: Steve Edberg

Re:Passing Parameter
        48321 by: Miguel Loureiro
        48322 by: Miguel Loureiro

What is Dynamic Library support
        48323 by: Jennifer

Error Handling class
        48324 by: Boget, Chris
        48328 by: Taylor, Stewart

Re: foreach vs. while(list() = each())
        48325 by: Maxim Derkachev
        48327 by: Tim Ward
        48333 by: Philip Olson

Re: Updating a value in a session
        48326 by: Tim Ward

Re: Loop issue
        48330 by: Chris Lee

Re: $8 PHP hosting from Jeffrey Greer
        48332 by: Kurth Bemis

passthru Problems
        48334 by: Jason Mowat
        48339 by: Krznaric Michael
        48353 by: Jason Mowat
        48357 by: Morgan Curley

Do any of you provide hosting?
        48336 by: Chris Anderson
        48342 by: Matt McClanahan
        48343 by: Lindsay Adams
        48344 by: Chris Anderson
        48350 by: Lindsay Adams

Newbie MySQL Table Work
        48337 by: Chris Anderson
        48338 by: Phillip Bow

Problem?
        48345 by: Wee Chua

"show tables" in oracle 8-i
        48347 by: Dennis Gearon
        48349 by: Brian S. Dunworth

Need HOWTO on field-update code.
        48348 by: Erin Quick-Laughlin
        48351 by: Lindsay Adams
        48352 by: Philip Olson

Re: mail function????
        48354 by: Terence Truong

resultset array
        48355 by: Mike
        48356 by: Mark Maggelet

Re: Newsgroups like this one?
        48360 by: John R.Marshall
        48386 by: Alvin Tan

Sr. PHP Developer Needed
        48362 by: Marcin Miszczak

form validation
        48363 by: george
        48365 by: Morgan Curley
        48366 by: george

Re: HELP! URGENT Upload file issue
        48364 by: g0thic

Problem Reading session files
        48367 by: Schulz, Evan
        48371 by: Tobias Talltorp

no reponse -- Need FTP help
        48368 by: David Minor
        48374 by: SED
        48384 by: Lindsay Adams

preg question
        48369 by: Michael Geier
        48370 by: mark.amtmedia.com

is_null
        48372 by: Jennifer
        48377 by: Yasuo Ohgaki

What variable are being sent to my script?
        48373 by: Brandon Orther
        48375 by: Ashley M. Kirchner

Re: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed]
        48376 by: Ashley M. Kirchner

Writing... But the permission is denied!
        48378 by: Richard
        48381 by: Michael A. Peters
        48382 by: Richard

stdin/stderr
        48379 by: Jake Fan

webdav and php howto
        48380 by: Michael A. Peters

Upcoming PHP training course
        48385 by: Michael Kimsal

ROUND inconsistency
        48387 by: Lee Howard

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do you understand the options that the other people have explained?

-- Rodney

"Ashley M. Kirchner" wrote:

> "Rodney J. Woodruff" wrote:
>
> > http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.msql-fetch-array.php
>
>     Okay, call me dense.  I can't figure this out.  This is what I'm trying to
> do:
>
>     $sql = "select p_id, project from proj where uid=$uid";
>     $result = mysql_db_query($database,$sql);
>
>     (the resulting table in mysql is as follows:
>       +------+-----------+
>       | p_id | project   |
>       +------+-----------+
>       |    0 | Undefined |
>       |    1 | Work      |
>       |    2 | Personal  |
>       +------+-----------+
>       3 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
>     ...yes, that 'Undefined' IS a valid project, and the p_id's don't
> necessarily start at 0 either.)
>
>     I need that result into the following:
>     $items = array(0 => "Undefined", 1 => "Work", 2 => "Personal");
>
>     Reason is, I pass that $items variable to the following function:
>
>   function MakeSelect($items, $selected) {
>     $str = "";
>     while(list($value, $name) = each($items)) {
>       $str .= "<option value=\"$value\"" . ($value != $selected ? \
>               ">" : " selected>") . "$name\n";
>     }
>     return $str;
>   }
>
>     ...which then creates (assuming the person had 'Work' previously
> selected):
>
>     <select name=whatever_i_specify>
>     <option value="0">Undefined
>     <option value="1" selected>Work
>     <option value="2">Personal
>     </select>
>
>     How do I create that $items array?
>
>     AMK4
>
> --
> W |
>   |  I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
>   |____________________________________________________________________

[posted and emailed]

If you're looking for a simple way to work with databases I would use
phplib.  Phplib is a db abstraction layer which supports over a dozen
databases including mysql.  You can get the libraries at
http://phplib.netuse.de/download/phplib-7.2c.tar.gz   You will need to
use "db_mysql.inc"

I think using mysql specific functions is bad programming.  Database
specific calls should be abstracted out whenever possible.

To do something like you would want to do you would use code like
this:

// create the db object

$db = new DB_Sql;

// initialize db parameters

$this->Host     = <your host>;
$this->Database = <db>;
$this->User     = <user name>;
$this->Password = <password>;

// E.g. make a simple query

$db->query("select username, uid, security_level from access where
username='$f_username' and password='$f_password';");

$db->next_record();
$db_username = $db->f("username");
$si_userid = (int)($db->f("uid"));
$si_security_level = (int)($db->f("security_level"));

// putting the values in an array is trivial, but you should do it
like this
//      or you will confuse your numeric ids with the ids that php
puts in an array automatically

$my_array["username"] = $db_username;
$my_array["userid"] = $si_userid;

--
Jeff Greer
- B.S. computer science - Univ. MO - Rolla

[posted and emailed]

On 12 Apr 2001 12:48:52 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeffrey
Greer) wrote:

>// putting the values in an array is trivial, but you should do it
>like this
>//     or you will confuse your numeric ids with the ids that php
>puts in an array automatically

Whoops.  I was wrong about array.  Keys are only filled in
automatically if you do this:
$my_array[] = 'some value';
now $my_array[0] = 'some value';

>--
>Jeff Greer
>- B.S. computer science - Univ. MO - Rolla
>- I do web hosting and development.  Details
>  at http://www.singlesconnection.org/services/

--
Jeff Greer
- B.S. computer science - Univ. MO - Rolla
- I do web hosting and development.  Details
  at http://www.singlesconnection.org/services/

I ran a few tracers and it seems that the server php.net is on is the
problem.

My packets are fine all the way along till final hop 13, which seems to be
located in Rochester NY, on the network of Choice One Communications, IP
208.247.106.187, running Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) DAV/0.9.18-dev PHP/4.0.5-dev.

The site loads fine now, but last time I did it it was all being rejected on
that hop. The server was refusing packets.

Maybe they are having problems with their server lately? It's been really
sporatic, so I switched my links to use us.php.net...annoying ;(

--
Plutarck
Should be working on something...

""maatt"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
9b4ahg$q9v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:9b4ahg$q9v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Anyone else having probs getting through? Or is it just me? Been trying
> since the wee hours (GMT).
>
> --
> Matt Kynaston
> remove the green eggs before replying

> 208.247.106.187, running Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) DAV/0.9.18-dev
PHP/4.0.5-dev.

Dearly hope it's not 4.0.5-dev that's the prob! Been wanting to try it,
which is why I can't use uk.php.net!

> The site loads fine now, but last time I did it it was all being rejected
on
> that hop. The server was refusing packets.

Yup, fine for me too.

Matt

> Dearly hope it's not 4.0.5-dev that's the prob! Been wanting to try it,
> which is why I can't use uk.php.net!

LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking...hehe.

Maybe the people in charge just got back from apachecon, and figured out
what was wrong? Or maybe just getting back from apachecon was what was
wrong? ;)

--
Plutarck
Should be working on something...
...but forgot what it was.

""maatt"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
9b4cbu$hdt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:9b4cbu$hdt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > 208.247.106.187, running Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) DAV/0.9.18-dev
> PHP/4.0.5-dev.
>
> Dearly hope it's not 4.0.5-dev that's the prob! Been wanting to try it,
> which is why I can't use uk.php.net!
>
> > The site loads fine now, but last time I did it it was all being
rejected
> on
> > that hop. The server was refusing packets.
>
> Yup, fine for me too.
>
> Matt

What you're trying to do sounds a lot like content management. I'm no
expert, but you should be able to do all this through the browser serverside
(no need to download/upload). Have you checked out www.midgard-project.org,
www.dotvoid.com/firesite.php, or http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/?

Matt

"The Hermit Hacker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> Sorry for vague subject, only so many things you can put in there ...
>
> I'm looking for someone way, in PHP4, to take a "form/template" for a
> letter on the server side, pass it to the client, let them edit it
> (including markup tags like bold and underline) and then pass it back to
> the server ...
>
> It has to be relatively transparent to the end user ... I don't want to
> have to teach them to put <B></B> tags around where they want bold ...
>
> I'm not particular on editor ... right now, if I have to force the client
> to install StarOffice for commonality across platforms, I'll do that and
> expand from that ... but some way of 'click here, download doc to
> computer, open up file with <insert editor of choice>, save back to server
> (if possible)' ...
>
> Ideas?
>
> thanks ...
>
> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick:
Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           secondary:
scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Thinking about this, about a week ago, there was a discussion about parsing word
document. Just to dig the text from doc. It sounds interesting, and since I have
in my crazy mind an idea, that I'd create a database of all documents that were
ever created in our company and put them in to the database, I'd also need to
know what's in those docs. So I followed the given link and it seems to be
pretty easy. Just install a program and pass it a document and it will parse the
text. The link is:
http://wvware.sourceforge.net/
Check out the site, may be you could find something similiar for rtf documents,
'cause I think its format is much easier to "crack".

hth
    Dezider.

Plutarck wrote:

> Ick...I'd say it's a good idea, but it's going to be a bi...tter fight with
> technology.
>
> First, you have to have some application do the loading/unloading. PHP can't
> do that, of course.
>
> But, you could use some form of java...but you'd have to get fancy. Or you
> could just use file upload in a form, which is easier.
>
> If you do that, you need only parse out the file.
>
> The best way to do that is pick a text format that does what you want it to
> do, and is universal across platforms. You don't even need to worry about
> the editor they use, as long as it's saved in the proper format.
>
> I reccomend you use either a word document, or perhaps Rich Text Format is
> best (rtf).
>
> Then you just have to figure out how text is saved in that format, and
> viola. You just use PHP to go from there...
>
> ....I'm sure it's easier said than done, and I have absolutely no clue how
> the content of rtf files is different from txt (but I'd love to know!), but
> I can see it being very possible if you pick only a few standard file
> formats, and use the file upload features.
>
> It's actually a very good idea. I'm surprised no one has done it...which
> should probably worry you ;)
>
> --
> Plutarck
> Should be working on something...
> ....but forgot what it was.

Jackpot! Cha-ching!

That site triggered my memory!

I remember downloading a program from some obscure site which was suppose to
be able to view a huge amount of files which are most often used in games. I
wanted to see the art :)

Anyhoo, it reminded me of another site which is linked on that website,
which is:

http://www.wotsit.org/

*dances*

For the RTF:

http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?page=3&s=text

Oooo I'm soo happy...toys toys toys! So many wonderful bits and bytes to
play with now...

--

"Dezider Góra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Thinking about this, about a week ago, there was a discussion about
parsing word
> document. Just to dig the text from doc. It sounds interesting, and since
I have
> in my crazy mind an idea, that I'd create a database of all documents that
were
> ever created in our company and put them in to the database, I'd also need
> know what's in those docs. So I followed the given link and it seems to be
> pretty easy. Just install a program and pass it a document and it will
parse the
> text. The link is:
> http://wvware.sourceforge.net/
> Check out the site, may be you could find something similiar for rtf
documents,
> 'cause I think its format is much easier to "crack".
>
> hth
>     Dezider.
>
> Plutarck wrote:
>
> > Ick...I'd say it's a good idea, but it's going to be a bi...tter fight
with
> > technology.
> >
> > First, you have to have some application do the loading/unloading. PHP
can't
> > do that, of course.
> >
> > But, you could use some form of java...but you'd have to get fancy. Or
you
> > could just use file upload in a form, which is easier.
> >
> > If you do that, you need only parse out the file.
> >
> > The best way to do that is pick a text format that does what you want it
> > do, and is universal across platforms. You don't even need to worry
about
> > the editor they use, as long as it's saved in the proper format.
> >
> > I reccomend you use either a word document, or perhaps Rich Text Format
is
> > best (rtf).
> >
> > Then you just have to figure out how text is saved in that format, and
> > viola. You just use PHP to go from there...
> >
> > ....I'm sure it's easier said than done, and I have absolutely no clue
how
> > the content of rtf files is different from txt (but I'd love to know!),
but
> > I can see it being very possible if you pick only a few standard file
> > formats, and use the file upload features.
> >
> > It's actually a very good idea. I'm surprised no one has done it...which
> > should probably worry you ;)
> >
> > --
> > Plutarck
> > Should be working on something...
> > ....but forgot what it was.

I'm setting up a slashdot style site using PHP, and am looking for
recommendations for ready-to-use packages, such as geeklog and PhpSlash. Has
anybody used either of these, got any comments, or suggestions for other
software.

TIA,
Charlie

Yes, this looks very good, thanks for the recommendation
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:28:28 +0200 (MET DST)
From: PMDF e-Mail Interconnect <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Date: Fri Apr 13 01:28:28 2001
  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Subject: Re: [PHP] What variable are being sent to my script?

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

  Recipient address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Reason: Not found in directory

--- NOTE. MESSAGE SENT TO YOUR OLD E-MAIL ADDRESS!----------

'[EMAIL PROTECTED]' sent this mail to your old address
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'.
Please let the sender know that your new address is
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'

Your old address will cease to function on 2nd of May 2001

--- MESSAGE ABOVE ADDED BY MAILSERVER ---------------------------

Greetings.

    What can I do about file writing to a local folder, except for making
the entire folder WRITE/EXECUTE, and ALL for me.. Is there any way I can
program my scripts to be able to write or what is the problem? I have tryied
making the folder WRITE/EXECUTE, and I had READ also for all at first, but
then who wants folder browsing?

Thanks alot,
Richard

Needs to be read/writeable by the web server.

Sorry dude, no other way that doesn't open up huge security risks.

If you can't give your webserver write permission in the content
directories- then write to /tmp.

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:57:40 +0200
"Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
>     What can I do about file writing to a local folder, except for
making
> the entire folder WRITE/EXECUTE, and ALL for me.. Is there any way I can
> program my scripts to be able to write or what is the problem? I have
tryied
> making the folder WRITE/EXECUTE, and I had READ also for all at first,
but
> then who wants folder browsing?
>
> Thanks alot,
> Richard

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Michael A. Peters
Abriasoft Senior Developer
http://www.abriasoft.com/

Greetings.
(wrote an email too)

> If you can't give your webserver write permission in the content
directories

Does that have anything to do with .HTACCESS and files such as that?

- Richard

Is there a way to execute a system command and get both stdin and stderr into separate
variables?

I've put together a howto for setting up apache with mod_dav with dynamic
content so that you can use a webdav client to update the site while still
keeping the php source hidden from non authenticated users.

My solution uses a virtual host (With using ForceType directive in an
Alias, it works- but I was unable to limit get through the alias without
also having the limit effect normal path for calling the app).

I'm interested in knowing what people think about it- if its helpful,
confusing, same goal could be more easily accomplished in a different way,
yada yada bing boom.

It can be viewed at http://devel.omnilinux.com/~mpeters/README.moddav.html

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Michael A. Peters
Abriasoft Senior Developer
http://www.abriasoft.com/

Hello all.

We've written here before some time ago offering PHP training
courses.  Unfortunately, we've had to postpone previously
scheduled classes.  These issues are now behind us, and we are
pleased to post the following information on our next class.

restructured our course  to take advantage of a full week.  Our next
course will be June 25-29, located in Ypsilanti, Michigan, just
outside Ann Arbor.  We are located about 20 minutes from the Detroit
Metro airport (DTW), and the class facilities are located in the
local Marriott Hotel, so accomodations will be on-site.

The course price will be $2000.  To register for this class, we will
need a refundable $399 deposit from you for each person attending.
Deposits need to be received by April 23, 2001.  Deposits are
refundable until 40 days before the class is set to begin.  We are
limiting the class to 15 students to maximize the instructor/student
ratio and hands-on course time.  We are accepting deposits on a
first-come, first-served basis.  Companies interested in sending more
than one person can contact us directly for discount information.

To register, email your contact information [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or phone us directly at 734-480-9961.

Our course is aimed at individuals familiar with web programming
concepts, but who are not yet PHP experts.  Individuals with
ASP, Java, ColdFusion or Perl skills will be well prepared for this
course, which will offer individualized migration information for
those are moving from another environment to PHP.

Topics we will cover include

Basics of PHP - syntax, variables, arrays, etc.
Databases - native drivers usage, database abstraction techniques
Templating
Image creation
PDF creation
Form handling techniques
Session handling
Architecture planning - issues to consider regarding server farms,
security, load balances, scalability, and more.

We are excited to be providing you with an excellent PHP learning
experience, and look forward to hearing from you soon regarding
this upcoming course.  :)

Sincerely,

Michael Kimsal
Director, Tap Internet
http://www.tapinternet.com/php/
734-480-9961
734-480-9962 (fax)

Using MySQL 3.23.32 on RedHat Linux 7.0...

MySQL's ROUND function rounds 5 up when the preceding digit is odd and down
when the preceding digit is even.

mysql> select round(1.5);
+------------+
| round(1.5) |
+------------+
|          2 |
+------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select round(2.5);
+------------+
| round(2.5) |
+------------+
|          2 |
+------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I think that this is technically the correct behavior, scientifically,
anyway.  However, this is not the common "lay-man's" method of rounding,
which is to always round 5 up, as exhibited by PHP-4.0.4pl1...

        <? echo round(1.5); ?>
        <? echo round(2.5); ?>

Apache 1.3.14 output for this is:

        2
        3

This discrepancy causes a difficulty in programming PHP and MySQL together,
for example, because all of the rounding must be done in either PHP or
MySQL but not both partially unless you want conflicting data.

I would like to see MySQL ROUND() syntax expand to be ROUND(X,D,M) where
optional M value indicates the method of rounding, the default being the
current method.

I would also like to see PHP round() syntax expand to be
        double round (double val [, int precision] [, char method])
where the optional method value indicates the method of rounding, the
default being the current method.

Thanks.

Lee Howard