 $loc = "path/to/dir/where/file/is";
    if(is_file("$loc/$filename"))
        {
    $open=fopen("$loc/$filename","r");
                 while(!feof($open))
                   {
            $line=fgets($open,255);
                           $string = $line;
             while(ereg( '<title>([^<]*)</title>(.*)', $string, $regs ) )
                               {
                                   $string = $regs[2];
                 return $regs[1];

call it like so

print(title("home.htm","web/articles"));

The only drawback is if there is any < > tags in between the <title></title>
tags it will not get the title, also if the title is on two lines like this

<title>This is the title of
my page</title>

it won't get the title either.

hth