Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:

You can't access string offsets with square brackets [] in PHP5. You need to use curly braces {} instead.

Not sure where you got that idea.  This is not true.

-Rasmus

Actually, it is. See the following URL:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php#language.types.string.substr

Yes, please read that link again. The syntax is deprecated. That doesn't mean it doesn't work as you indicated. If we broke this most of the scripts written for PHP4 would break.

-Rasmus

Yes, but he's talking about PHP5. He probably has E_STRICT on, which is
why he's getting that error.

I was telling him to use the correct syntax, which will cause him to not
get that error.

I know we are talking about PHP5, and that syntax does not throw an E_STRICT error.

-Rasmus