Hello all,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to resolving an odd
bug.  I tried searching the bugs database and groups, but I can't think of
the terms to use while searching for my problem that the search system will
accept.

I have a script like the below, copied from the crypt manual page
---
<?php if (CRYPT_MD5 == 1) { var_dump(crypt('rasmuslerdorf',
'$1$rasmusle$')); } ?>
---

On my main web server, which is running php 4.3.10 with apache this script
produces the following when I view the page on the web
---
 string(13) "$1Hat1hn6A1pw"
---

When I run the script from the command line [php test.php] on the exact same
server I get
---
string(34) "$1$rasmusle$rISCgZzpwk3UhDidwXvin0"
---

I have also occasionaly seen some odd behavior where strings with dollar
symbols $ in them won't print out correctly, but they have never seen that
important..  Does anyone have any guesses, or hints about what the next step
is to search for what is causing this odd behavior?  Any suggestions about a
better place to ask?

Thanks for any help

Chris Francy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]