Get it in writing...
------------------
Find out what they want and have them sign the design targets.

Price depends on the complexity....
I break a job done by functional areas and how much time I expect to spend
developing each section (i.e. - message board, general page layout and
graphics, e-commerce store, etc.). Be realistic with your time estimates. If
you will be using a new language then be generous with your time, but as you
gain experience reduce that time too.

and the per Hour....
-------------
Look at your cost of living. A person in New York City can not afford to
charge the same rate as a person in Toledo, Ohio
I charge more for onsite (to cover gas, parking, lunch and other issues)
than I do for offsite (working from home, I'll give then a price break).
Leave extra time for revisions to the site, I'll add between 25% - 50% to my
time for each area depending on how the contract negotions go, if the client
is a pain in the arse with the contract, then expect issues and difficulty
while you work the project (a.k.a. - scope/deadline creep).

Web developers can be had for a very cheap price if one wants to search for
them.You are the local expert and this is why you were hired (or possibly
your reputation is very good). If a client is real persistent about adding a
new "feature" then I will say something to the effect of, OK - Mr.
InsertClientNameHere, I can make those changes but I will have to increase
the development time to X and that will add Z to the cost of the project.
Don't be afraid to slap a good price on that Z, specially if you are far
into the project. The client will do one of two things. He will either
backdown and stick to the original design, or he will say OK(more money for
you)! If he says OK then make an addendum to the contract and have him sign
it. So the new time and price is agreed upon.

is it a one time deal or continued business...
I charge more for just building a website, but if I am going to maintain the
site I then adjust for any hosting cost, then charge a 10-20% fee (of the
total project build) for monthly maintenance/year (this will cover my time).
I then will give a price break, usually of 10-20% off the total project
price for maintenance as an added motivation to get it.

make sure you deliver
You reputation is of the utmost importance, do everything you can to meet
your deadline.. If you can not complete part of a contract yourself then,
outsource it. The client does not need to know and in most cases they don't
care.

CJ

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]