Hi,

I would appreciate help on the following.

I have been looking up ways to implement a cancel button with php. Basically, I
have a mypictures.php file.  There are select statements, grep statements, and
a call to executables.  I don't understand why there isn't that much around
about this cancel topic? Have I been looking in the right places?

The cancel button can be used if the user does not want to wait a long time for
a big request and wait for the pictures to render. Also, I have had problems
with the executables tying up the server.

They can use the big stop button at the top of the Internet Explorer I think
but I would like to make it user friendly and have the option to cancel in the
php application itself. I want the cancel button to also direct the user to a
page ready for a new search.

Can I use posix_get pid and then posix_kill to kill the current instance of
mypictures.php.

Will this work? I'm not sure how to kill the executables started by this
particular mypictures.php.

Other people can open another session and I don't want to kill their
mypictures.php or executables that they started.

What is the difference between posix_getpid() and getmypid()? Are they the same
thing?  For the cancel button I was thinking of using a popup window or just
use the mypictures.php that the top header part of the mypictures.php that is
rendering and use an XML HTTP Request object to be able to cancel without
sending another request.  Are these ideas practical and possible?

thanks!