Robert S a écrit :
I am running a Woody server.  I'd like to run php scripts from the command
line, but I note that the php/php4 executable is not in my PATH.

just install php4-cgi package (apt-get install php4-cgi) and the PHP 4 CLI will be install : /usr/bin/php4 Next time, try to use 'apt-cache search foo' or packages.debian.org to find it yourself

have tried to do that. I note that php isn't available in the backports.

If you need more recent LAMP stuff on Woody (ex php5) add these lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list: deb http://packages.dotdeb.org ./ deb-src http://sources.dotdeb.org ./

This will use recent Debian packages (backported for Woody)
from http://dotdeb.org/
They got a server crash without backups, but the packages are there,
and it seems the server will be up again soon

Is there any sort of workaround (short of upgrading the whole system to sarge, which I don't want to do)?

Debian testing (currently Sarge) dont have security support. So either stick with woody (perhaps with backported packages) -- esp if you're on a production server or choose the DIY (do it yourself) way... -- ie 'manual' compilation, trouble and upgrades :p

Ch.