This is not an acceptable solution anyway, the permissions are changed on a
reboot:

Crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 64 Apr  7 09:56 /dev/ttyS0

instead I´ve added the apache user to the group uucp in /etc/groups

But I did check the permissions on the /dev and only root could write to that,
that´s changed now.

> Just for fun...
>
> On the command line, su to 'apache' and then do cat /dev/ttyS0

Apache user has /sbin/nologin and no bash, so I used a chsh apache, added
/bin/bash and had no problem "catting" the device...

> Okay, if that works, run your PHP script from the command line, as apache.

I´m not running PHP as CGI

> Report it as a bug, I guess. http://bugs.php.net

Nah, it´s not a PHP bug, cause I can read from it when using
fopen("/dev/ttyS0", "r");

I´m on my way... think it´s now oddies with the script, that was developed on a
windows platform, you know things like fwrite($fp, "sh ssh\r\n");

> *MAYBE* you could try using http://php.net/exec (with "cat /dev/ttyS0")
> and see if that allows you any kind of access.  Doubt it, though.

I´m using exec to set the comport speed and the likes.

--
Med venlig hilsen / best regards
ComX Networks A/S