On Saturday 09 April 2005 02:18, Computer Programmer wrote:
> What is a better way to store password in a cookie?
>
> md5()?
> base64_encode()?
> mhash()?
> mcrypt_generic()?
> crypt()?

It doesn't matter how you encrypt it.

DO NOT STORE PASSWORDS ON USERS COMPUTER

I hope that's clear enough.

What you can do, and in fact I do for production sites is when the user logs
on, you create an unique identifier and make a hash from it using your
favorite encryption method. (sha1, md5, crc32).  I like sha1.

Save that hash in a temporary table and link it to the user's ID.  Set an
exipry date and extend that on each subsequencial request.

Additionally you can save the IP number there as well.  But that can lead to
issues if they are connected trough a firewall, router, or proxy.

Think of it as assigning a temporary password, only it is transparent to the
user.

Structure

        Password Validated
                Create unique id
                save in connections table
                set cookie with unique id and userid

 Page Request
        Check for cookie
                lookup unique id in connections table
                id expired?  No -> User still loged in
        No Cookie
                Do Login

This way, you automatically log out users that are logging in on another
computer.

Kind regards

Andy

--