> > This isn't about redundancy, it's about enhancing the experience for
> > customers physically located thousands of miles away from the server
> > they are trying to access. So, bring the content closer to them and
> > drop their wait times massively. It's easy for those of us sat on the
> > end of cable connections to become complacent about this IMHO (i.e.
> > "the Internet is fast enough now that you don't need to do this"), but
> > in reality that's not really yet the case.

Here is something I have done in the past to speed up php/mysql pages
(should work with other databases though).  Basically, I noticed that
the majority of our database calls were read calls, rather than write
calls.  So, in all of the locations globally, I set up "read-only"
database servers, and also replicated the php code to all of the
sites, then still did all of the writes to the "master" server but,
all of the reads from each local "read-only" server.

Not sure if this is necessairily the "best" way to do things, but it
worked well for me, and sped things up quite a bit.  This does mean
you have 2 database connections always, 1 for reading, and 1 for
writing.

For mysql, look more at their website for how to set up replication
machines.  As far as the code goes, I just have a process that
straight copy's it from my "master" server.

-Chris