On Mon, April 25, 2005 1:40 pm, Michael Phillipson said:
> What I am baffled by is the fact that the total nunber of connections
> between the web server and my database seems to max out at 9.  Why 9?

Either you never had more than 9 users at one time during your test, so
only 9 Apache children actually had to do any work, and the rest just laid
around doing nothing, or...

You may have configured Interbase (no idea how) to only allow 9
connections, or

The trial version of Interbase may limit you to 9 (or 10) connections.

If you also had, say, some kind of shell Interbase monitor program going,
or some kind of other application with a connection, that would have been
your 10th connection.

If this were MySQL, I'd tell you to look at your /etc/my.cnf file, or to
create one, and to make sure your limit on the number of connections is
*HIGHER* than the number of Children you allow in httpd.conf

Othewise, sooner or later, your server gets busy, and BAM! you've hit a
wal where Apache *wants* a MySQL connection, but MySQL won't give it one,
and your user gets some nasty error message about it, or, if you are
re-directing the errors, the page just plain doesn't work the way they
want, or...  Exactly what happens depends on your error settings and error
handling, and how good your code is at detecting error conditions.

You want the MySQL limit *HIGHER* than the Children, so that if all hell
breaks loose, *YOU* can use the mysql monitor from the shell command line
to log in and do admin tasks, yay even unto "mysqladmin -u root -p stop"

You don't want to get caught where your site is *SO* busy you can't even
get that to work. :-^

Interbase presumably has similar features, but I cannot say for certain.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm