Jason Barnett wrote:

Mattias Thorslund wrote:

Who says PHP itself is a template engine? I think nobody. What are the "basic template features"?

Variables / placeholders
Looping construct(s)
Conditionals
A way to apply styles to text / markup

So I suppose I'm just confused over what constitutes a templating engine? I was thinking that the class/tool/program/whatever that handles the templates would be the "template engine". I'm aware that a PHP-as-template-template would use PHP's native syntax for variables/loops/conditionals.

Then I wonder what makes skol29 think PHP's "basic template features" are "too poor" to be used seriously? I think PHP's "basic template features" are phenomenal.

However, there is a school of thought regarding templates that advocates template engines (written in, for instance, PHP) which use PHP as their template syntax, so that there is no need to invent new tags or placeholders. You could read the article I linked to before, it has examples. Actually, here's the link again:

http://www.massassi.com/php/articles/template_engines/

The point of this article is that PHP is a good template engine ;)

As I saw it, the PHP class described in the article would be the template, but that's obviously a misconception on my part. What's the generic term for the template handling class, then?

Cheers,

Mattias

--
More views at http://www.thorslund.us