ditto everyone who said use it if you don't care about errors, but
don't use it in places where you expect errors.

Also don't use it in places where it can be avoided with minimal cost.

For example if you have an optional field, and people usually fill it
in, and rarely leave it empty, then you could use the @ operator then.
Otherwise, if people rarely fill it in and it's causing E_NOTICE
errors frequently then, I'd do some standard error checking instead.

I don't have benchmarks to support this theory(which will probably be
discredited soon), but I've read somewhere that errors(even
E_NOTICES), seriously slow a script down.

Sorry Colin for your receiving this twice.