Hi,

I've had some rather odd intermittent behavior with a select list drawn by a
'require' on my production site. Sometimes, rather than displaying 'In
USA/Canada' from the '<option selected>In USA/Canada</option>' code in the
required file, it will display a blank. Yet, if I try to duplicate this
behavior on the development box, it will display as coded.

Since I use this text string as a validator for user input, it really messes
up the database/code functions that rely on it.

<?php require("provcountry.sty"); ?>

[snippet of 'require' text (provcountry.sty)]
        <option selected>In USA/Canada</option>
        <option value="Alabama">Alabama</option>
. . .
</SELECT></td>

[snippet of some validating code verifying $selstate that relies on $selstate]

<?php
if (($_POST['selstate'] != "In USA/Canada")&&($_POST['typstate'] != ""))
 die ("<h5><br><br>Please choose from 'In USA/Canada' or type in 'Other
 State'.
 re-enter information</h5>");
?>

Any ideas why this is happening?