Charles Kline wrote:

On May 25, 2005, at 7:53 PM, Richard Lynch wrote:

On Wed, May 25, 2005 11:30 am, Charles Kline said:

i have 2 class files. say for example.

class 1

class 2 extends class 1

class 2  uses include_once("firstclass.php")

include, require, etal are not functions exactly...
therefore the brackets are not required, in case you didn't know.
more importantly I would suggest that the include
statement in your class or where ever should be a require(_once)
statement - because without the first class the second class
cannot be used (i.e. firstclass is required!).

require_once 'firstclass.php';

then i use include_once ("secondclass.php") in my template. this does
not work. to get it to work, i must put both the files as includes in
my template.
any ideas why?

Could you define "does not work" a little more precisely?

Do you get error messages?

What do the error messages say?

Is there any output at all?

Does your computer blow up?

What?

Sorry I should have been more specific (or course)...

The template does not load. I get no error messages of any kind. Both classes function fine when included into the template separately - but when in include the secondclass.php which in turn includes firstclass.php the page does not load.

sounds a bit like a problem related to your include_path ....
its possible that the firstclass.php cannot be found in the include path from
within secondclass.php OR maybe a different file is being found
(a file also called firstclass.php but containing so kind of error)

what does the following show you? (if you place it in your code):
<?
        var_dump( ini_get("include_path") );
?>

btw I see such a problem regularly, that is - a require_once statement
fails because the file was not found and the script terminates
with no errors (ANYWHERE!)

ps - what the heck is a 'template' in your world?
pps - do you have error reporting turned up fully? are you logging and/or
outputing errors at all?

Running on Mac OS X Server version 10.3

- Charles