> Food:Fruit:Red
> Food:Fruit:Green
> Food:Fruit:Yellow
> Food:Vegetables:Long
> Food:Vegetables:Round
> Food:Vegetables:Round:Spikey
> Food:Vegetables:Round:Smooth

How is your structure being built?  Is it hard-coded or dynamic (e.g.
pulled from a DB)?  We employ a similar "tree" structure for manging
items in our store front.  Believe me when I say, its a hell of a lot
easier to only be concerned about the current item rathen then every
item in the sturcture.  Consider that a 1-to-many relationship is much
easier to deal with than a many-to-many relationship.  What I mean is,
if you are looking at the element "Round", don't concern yourself with
"Fruit" or "Long".  Figure out your "upstream" path for the current
element, e.g. "Food:Vegetables" (which should be easy if you assume
that each element only has 1 parent).  Then figure out the children
for the current element, e.g. "Spikey" and "Round". KISS. :)