SORRY - one small correction below:

<SNIP>

If that were instead an $s then I would do:

<?php      //IF there is a valid query by subject, use $s to build the SQL
    $fields = "SELECT art.*,publisher.*,subject.*";
    $from = "FROM art,subject
        LEFT JOIN publisher
         ON publisher.publisher_id=art.publisher_id";
       $where = "WHERE publisher.publisher_id=art.publisher_id AND
         art.subject_id = '$s' AND
         art.subject_id=subject.subject_id";
?>

</SNIP>
I had accidentally put a number 1 in place of the $s in the above example. Apologies for the extra mail and thanks in advance.