Your RegEx is probably fine...

But you are probably missing a closing quote in lines BEFORE line 39, and
PHP thinks everything up the the =====^ is still part of some giant
monster long string that spans multiple lines, and then it gets to the
/head bit (because  your opening quote is really a closing quote for
something way earlier) and BAM!  /head don't mean nothing useful in PHP...

So all this discussion about security, strip_tags, and suchlike has
nothing to do with your original problem :-)

But, hey, ya learned some stuff, and that's never bad. :-)

On Sun, June 5, 2005 6:36 pm, Dotan Cohen said:
> On 6/6/05, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Sun, June 5, 2005 7:05 am, Dotan Cohen said:
>> > I took this example from php.net, but can't figure out where I went
>> > wrong. Why does this:
>> > $text = preg_replace("/<head(.|\s)*?>(.|\s)*?<\/head>/i" , "" ,
>> $text);
>> >
>> > throw this error:
>> > syntax error at line 265, column 39:
>> >               $text = preg_replace("/<head(.|\s)*?>(.|\s)*?<\/head>/i"
>> , "" , $text);
>> > ======================================^
>> >
>> > It seems to be pointing to the 'e' is 'head'. Why? Thanks.
>>
>> The pointing is often "off" by a few chars...
>>
>> For starters, you're not correctly using \, imho.
>>
>> \ is special in PHP strings.
>> \ is ALSO special in RegEx.
>>
>> So your \s should be \\s, in case PHP makes \s special someday.
>>
>> I think the ?> in there will also mess you up, maybe, as that ends PHP
>> parsing...  Though it SHOULD be kosher inside a string...
>>
>> --
>> Like Music?
>> http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm
>>

> Could well be- I certainly didn't come up with that regex myself! What
> would you recommend to remove any tag, and the code enclosed? For
> instance: "I love my <tag>big</tag> brother" would become "I love my
> brother"?
>
> Dotan
> http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/pages/artist_albums.php/114/Chapman%2C%20Tracy
> Tracy Chapman Lyrics