Sort of. There are two ways to do this(that I can think of, and
neither of them are too reliable. Consider this: how would you like if
any random website, could run any program they liked on your computer?
This could range from word/excel, to less amicable programs like ones
that control your speakers/microphone, etc.

Having that said, you can use nsiProcess(in netscape/gecko based
browsers.), or wsh for MSIE. I'm not sure exactly how to do this. I
just remember reading some code that needed this. On
netscape/mozilla/gecko you'll have to tell the script to override the
security preventing this(the user will be shown a dialog box, asking
them to confirm this). I'm not sure what the situation is with MSIE,
but expect to encounter some security issues.

I don't know any examples for nsIProcess off-hand, but you can check
out the PHUI Code for an example on doing this on MSIE.