From: Frank Whitsell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 4:24 PM
To: bruce
Cc: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: RE: [PHP] undefined mysql_connect() ???

Sheesh, the electric power has just been off for almost an hour!

Here's the result of running "rpm -qa | grep -i php":

  php-4.3.9-3
  php-ldap-4.3.9-3
  php-pear-4.3.9-3

The o/s is Fedora Core 3, and I selected the Server installation, which also
automatically installed apache 2.0.52, php 4.3.9, and mysql 3.23.58, as I
wanted.  And those are all rpm's.

I've installed a number of redhat's, suse's, debian, etc, and never had this
problem...but I have never used (or installed) apache2 before.

The .php files execute fine.  That is, until I try to call the
mysql_connect()
function.  Then I get the undefined-function error.

On apache1.3, the phpinfo() function shows the apache modules loaded, and
that
shows that mod_php4 is loaded.  But on apache2, nothing is mentioned about
php
in the list of loaded modules.

Nevertheless, if I add the LoadModule directive for php4 and restart
apache2,
apache2 complains that the module is already loaded.  And it must be,
because
otherwise, the .php files wouldn't execute.

It's almost as if apache2 is loading it's php module from some other source
that doesn't contain the mysql functions.  By "from some other source", I
mean
that maybe it's not loading the libphp4.so that's in the apache2 modules
directory.

The httpd.conf file has the directive ServerRoot set to /etc/httpd, and the
modules all use the pathname "modules/<mod_name>".  Thus,
"/etc/httpd/modules/<mod_name> should load the correct module.  But there is
no
mention at all of "libphp4.so" in the httpd.conf file, or anywhere else I
can
find.  In fact, a search for "php" in the httpd.conf file finds nothing.
I'm
really stumped.

  --frank--