Hello Thomas,

T> I have a conceptional question about storing images/files on a
T> server. When the application gives users a possibility to store up
T> to 20 images, would it be better to create a new folder for each
T> signed-up user to store the images in, or use one large folder. I
T> have done the last quite often (just renamed the files to the
T> insert id) with good success.

Depends entirely on how many images you expect to be held in this
folder at any one time. Whilst all modern operating systems can cope
with lots of files, you hit a certain level* beyond which system
performance suffers increasingly.

Personally I'd create sub-dirs per user.

* Don't ask me what, but it's not a very high number IIRC.

Best regards,

Richard Davey
--
 http://www.launchcode.co.uk - PHP Development Services
 "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov