Rick Emery wrote:

This leads (sort of) to a second question: how can I validate my HTML? My applications run on an intranet (with database access), so I can't use the W3C Validator to point to the URL. If I try to upload the file, the validator doesn't parse the PHP to get the HTML output (which is why I wonder if I'm not better writing the HTML and sticking PHP where it's needed). Is there a way for me to maybe use the PHP tidy functions on the string containing the HTML ouput to validate it?

If you run FireFox you can download the entirely invaluable Web Developer plugin, one feature of which (under the Tools button) is "Validate Local HTML". This automates a post of your page to the W3C Validator, thus not requiring a URL visible to the ineternet. The only caveat being, you do still need internet access from your development machine for the post to be possible.

This is a great way for developers to validate the output of their code while it still resides on their local machines, prior to actually uploading the code to a public (and therefore "visible") site.

Regards,

Murray