thanks for that explanation, case closed. :-)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] [Fwd: [PHP] constant() - php5]

Due to PHPs dynamic typing, unquoted strings are treated as strings
unless a constant by that name exists. Thankfully it's clever enough to
raise a notice to tell you it couldn't find a constant by that name,
which makes debugging much easier.

The reason constant() throws a warning rather than a notice is because
PHP knows you're looking for a constant by that name and flags it as a
more serious error, wheras before, it could just be that you want to use
an unquoted string :)

If you think it's a bit strange, it may seem so, but logically, if an
unquoted number is equivilent to it's quoted counter-part, the same must
be true for strings.

Nicholas Telford

Jochem Maas wrote: