I have a script that generates, creates, and updates dynamic banner
images for users of a service.

Recently I have run into a problem with file permissions... that has
thoroughly annoyed me. I found a solution to fix the problem, however,
it was then hit with another problem, and I'm not sure how secure I find
my solution to be.

During the image creation process, the files are given the normal image
permission of 644 (rw-r--r--). Of course, this makes updating impossible.

I attempted to use a simple chmod();, however, the script didnt have the
permissions to do this. I couldnt figure out a way to fix this, so I
moved on to looking for other solutions.

I ended up with somethign that worked, slightly, but did not provide me
with an actual fix due to another problem. I would connect to the folder
via local FTP, then using ftp_site run a direct CHMOD on the files.

However, in doing this, I feel that the script itself is insecure. Also,
it didnt work in the end. After running the update script, to test out
my new solution, I was confronted with a new problem that I didnt
understand.

The FTP command returned "Bad File Descriptor" after executing the
CHMOD. After attempting in a few other of my own FTP clients, I ran into
-exactly- the same problem.

My questions are this:

A) Is there any way to set the permissions on the file on creation of
the image?
B) If no, is there a way I can do the CHMOD, even though chmod();
returned insufficient permissions to do so?
C) If no, is there a way I can fix the bad file descriptor, to fix the
ftp solution I have?

Any other solutions would be able as well, given that they're somewhat
secure.