How does one represent a MySQL table as a two dimensional array
using the column names as one of the indices?  My naive attempt
went something like this:

        while ($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result))
                $table[] = $row;

but that generated this error;

        Fatal error: [] operator not supported for strings

Ok.  So then I try to explicitly assign each row, like this:

        while ($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result))
                $table[$i++] = $row;

While that generates no error, $table contains nothing useful when
I'm done.  So then I try to assign each row and column, like this:

        while ($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result)) {
                foreach ( $row as $col => $val)
                        $table[$i][$col] = $val;
                $i++;
        }

And that got me this error:

        Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array

So clearly my understanding of PHP arrays is lacking.
Please help.

Thanks
Fletcher