Hi List!

I'm writing an open source PHP application which uses (connects to) Unix
sockets. To that means, I'm using the fsockopen function.

However, when reading the fsockopen documentation on php.net and being
referred to Appendix N, it seems clear that one should use the notation
"unix:///path/to/socket". However, that doesn't work with any version of
PHP that I've tried myself -- they only work if I give them a normal
path (without the "unix://" specifier). Right now, I'm using PHP 4.2.2
(comes with RH9), but previously I was using some PHP 4.3 version,
although I don't remember which.

Recently, however, I've started receiving mails from people who say that
it only works if they replace the fsockopen call so that it uses the
"unix://" scheme. At least one of them was using PHP 4.3.11, and another
one was using PHP 5. I don't think I asked for the PHP versions of the
others.

So, what is one supposed to do with this really? Is there any particular
way that I can detect if I should use "unix://" and prepend it if
necessary? If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason for this
inconsistency?

Thanks for your attention!

Fredrik Tolf