I really didn't follow all that.  But this stuff is not that complex.
header() sets a header to be sent when output goes out.  header() does
not send an actual header at that point.  If you don't send any output,
then the headers won't go out until the script terminates.  If you have
any sort of output buffering enabled, then even if you think you are
sending something, you may only be buffering it, and in that case again
the headers won't go out until the request is done.

Also, ignore_user_abort() controls whether or not your script will be
terminated when we are able to detect that the user has aborted.  A user
abort is defined as nobody being around to read the data we are sending
out.  If you don't send anything, we can't detect if the browser has
gone away.  Generally browsers will redirect as soon as they see a
Location: redirect header, but that could be client-speficic.  If the
client sticks around after seeing the redirect and doesn't redirect
until after the server has closed the connection, then there is no way
to force a close.  If it does redirect and close its end of the
connection, then if you set ignore_user_abort(false) your script will be
terminated as soon as it tries to send something further and your
shutdown function will be called at that point.

-Rasmus